What to see at Bugsworth Basin
A row of early canal-side cottages named 'Teapot Row' from the inhabitants' practice of emptying their teapots into the canal.
Gauging Stop Place
A narrowing or 'pinch' in the canal where laden barges were assessed for tolls and weight of cargo by measuring the boat's displacement by means of 6 indexes on each boat.
Wharfinger's House and Canal Office
This was the 'home' of the Agent who was responsible for Bugsworth and who was the Canal Company's representative. This was the point where tolls were collected and cargoes weighed. The present building is the third on this site, the first being built in 1797. The small building at the side was a stable and hay loft for the agent's horse. The first wharfinger at Bugsworth was German Wheatcroft, who held the post between 1798 and 1809.
This 'widening' of the canal was used to 'hold' boats awaiting unloading or 'gauging'.
Lower Basin Wharf and Arm
This wharf was one of the 'Limestone Wharves' with 'deep' pens and overhead unloading of tramway waggons. The 'Arm' was used for loading, unloading and storing goods within the secure warehouse. The wharf was cut in the 1830's, the arm with a secure warehouse was cut and built in the late 1840's.
Middle Basin Wharf and Arm
This wharf was in fact the main line of the canal but with stone-edged wharves for discharging coal and covered sheds for loading burnt lime from the Gnat Hole Kilns. The 'Arm' was a dual wharf with covered loading areas, one for burnt limestone from the New Road Kilns, the other for cattle, pigs and poultry. Between the Arm and the 'Navigation Inn' were sited the Brookside Kilns, the earliest known at Bugsworth, dating from the late 18th Century.
Chinley Road (Silk Hill) Bridge
With the cutting of the canal in 1796 the original Chinley - Whaley Bridge road bridge was destroyed and rebuilt in its present position.
This comprises the most important area of the Bugsworth Canal Basin. It is the oldest near-original area extant. The Arm was cut and a covered lime transfer shed built in the early 1800's. The post by the road bridge is all that remains of a 5 ton crane used to load gritstone from the Stone Wharf. The deep limestone pens, built c1815, are on the north side. This area was the scene, on the 26th October 1898, where Hannah Cotton was brutally murdered by her husband John Cotton. On the 21st December 1898, John Cotton became the last person to be 'publicly' hanged at Derby Gaol, the scene being graphically described in the Derby Daily Telegraph of that date.
The Navigation Inn
The site of this inn is the oldest still-inhabited site within the canal basin area. In 1795 the site was occupied by a farm and later developed as a public house for boatmen. There was a large stable at the eastern end and a shop occupied the western end. The site of the other Bugsworth Basin public house 'The Rose and Crown Inn' is now buried beneath the bypass.
Lines of stone sleeper blocks are visible throughout the site, some with one hole, others with two or three. The holes were used for oak plugs into which iron spikes were driven to secure the tramway rails to the blocks.